We seek, wherever possible, to offer all visitors and users of the Cathedral equality of access.
- A staircase and lift situated in the lower porch provide access to the Cathedral from the underground car park to Cathedral level. These are both accessible from the car park. Externally there is a sloping path through the garden. The entrance to this path is via a gate at the pavement end of the car park approach road.
- The Crypt is accessible via a lift situated in the Rotunda sited to the right of the Blessed Sacrament Chapel (underneath the pipes of the Grand Organ).
- Accessible toilets can be found in the lower porch and at Crypt level also.
- Wheelchairs are available from the Security Office, which is located in the Cathedral car park.
- A loop system is fitted in the Cathedral and in the Crypt Chapel.
- Large type service sheets are avilable at Sunday services and all choral services and special services.
We want to make the Cathedral more welcoming and helpful, breaking down barriers which may have in the past excluded some people. We welcome the opinions and advice of people with problems of access and, where appropriate, their carers. We will try to offer appropriate support to anyone who has problems of access and to their families.
We have undertaken an access audit to identify barriers which prevent anyone from:
- gaining physical access to the Cathedral and reaching all parts of the building.
- being fully welcome and able to take a full part in services, groups and meetings.
As far as possible we intend to remove any remaining such barriers as resources permit.
We are offering appropriate training to Cathedral personnel to increase their awareness of the needs of people with problems of access, to help them to improve their care.