Historically, music has played an important part in the life of the Catholic Church, and since 1958 in the Cathedral, when a choir of men's voices was formed by Canon Edward Murphy to sing in the Crypt. In 1960 a Boys' Choir was established under the direction of Christopher Symons and amalgamated with the Mens's Choir. Since then music has been at the heart of the worship in the Metropolitan Cathedral. The oirignal Choir School was The Gables in Woolton. In 1974 St Edward's College became the Choir School. Today, the Cathedral Music Department is responsible for providing music at ten services every week in term time, plus numerous extra services when called upon to mark a particular occasion. This work is shared between the Cathedral's four choirs and four organists under the guidance of the Director of Music.
To find out more, click on the links opposite. Latest information can be found on Facebook
To join any of of the Choirs, click on the link Joining the Choirs opposite or on each choir's page.